Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Summer Camp...

The girls went to summer camp (overnight and way far away summer camp) for the first time in their lives last week and I just feel the need to register my thoughts on it all, because it impacted me profoundly...sounds dramatic, but It's true! It was like some kind of "rite of passage" for both the kids and Mike and I...The kids were anxious about it prior to going and Mike and I were crazy excited about it. The outcome was the exact opposite which is what I found so bizarre.

Kasey is my "homebody". Kristin is my "party girl"...I had camp in the back of my head all year but talked to Kasey about it, and b/c a girlfriend of hers couldn't go with her, she wasn't interested. I did some research and found WORD OF LIFE RANCH up in Schroon Lake, NY...2 hours away... not too far, but not close enough to "stop in and visit". I actually talked to Kristin about it thinking that might be something special for her to do on her own since most activities she does with Kasey. Turns out we had one possible week to attend and WOL had that week open. I presented it to Kristin and she was interested. Kasey said she was too if she could be with Krissy or atleast attend the same week. Well, after contacting WORD OF LIFE RANCH, they were able to not only fit both of the girls in but could put them in the same cabin as the program they qualified for was the "sheriffs" age 8-10. God worked that out as the next week Kasey turned 11 and would qualify for the older program! He's so good!

So the kids went. Kasey cried when we left her. Kristin hardly waved... such different kids...and Mike and I went home. Now we've left the kids many times before but we could always talk with them. This was different. Only emergency phonecalls were allowed, and we had no valid ones...so, a whole week went by without a word... correction, we received a letter from Kasey mid-week that said "I miss you alot, but I'm having a GREAT TIME!" That did my heart a world of good. I was amazed at how much we missed the girls... then, Michael went on a three day business trip to Boston and I was home alone... I don't think that has ever happened!


The good thing is that Michael and I prayed ALL WEEK LONG...constantly... we truly had to rely on the Lord. So, our trip to pick them up on 7/21 was an anxious one... did they have a good time? Did they make friends? Are they going to be scarred for life? Some kids love it, some kids don't.... what catagory did our kids fit in? I didn't know...

Our hearts SOARED when we saw the girls early Saturday morning... They ran to both of us with big jumpin' hugs... it was a great reunion, but what I treasured the most were the stories that followed... the mud pit, the water park, the slip-n-slide, the horsemanship program, the arts and crafts, the counselors, the new friends, the tour around the camp like they had been there all year, every little detail, every song, every motion, every skit reinacted...it was awesome... I don't think I've ever heard Kasey talk so much! Their counselor was named "Kristin" as well and was just dear... she truly LOVED the girls and was so caring. Though the kids had a blast they also came home stating that they both committed the rest of their lives to serving Christ! That's so cool... just that WOL and it's staff provided a place for our children to ask those deeper questions and hear them answer emphatically, "YES!" Bottom line, we all grew up a bit this past week and it was wonderful. I spent some time by myself (which I rarely do), Michael and I were able to catch up a bit, and the girls ventured on their own and found that they did just fine... It was a wonderful week! God not only saw us thru that step, but blessed us immensely. The question asked was how much did you like camp. The answer was "9 very's". I'd say WORD OF LIFE RANCH won us over. The program totally impressed us both and the kids will forever remember their first week at camp. http://www.wolranch.org/. Check it out. The kids cabin of girls is posted under week 4. Glad to grow a bit, but so glad we're all home. What a blessing!







1 comment:

giggles said...

I am so glad they had an awesome time. God is awesome and I can't wait to see how HE will use them for HIS glory...

and just think, when we were kids you teased me about WOL. Can't let you live that down! :-)

HANNAY HAPPENINGS...

HANNAY HAPPENINGS...